Drink more water. You have probably heard it for your entire adult life. Yet, do you know why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists encourage everyone to drink more water? Believe us when we tell you that water does more than quench your thirst!
The benefits of drinking water are seemingly endless. Besides quitting smoking or alcohol/drug abuse, there is no other single thing you could do that would benefit your entire body more than increasing your water intake. Water is essential to keeping your body functioning properly, warding off illnesses, and feeling healthy.
The human body is made up of 60% water. All of your bodily systems depend upon adequate hydration to function correctly and allow you to survive. Below is a list of the benefits of drinking at least eight 8-ounces glasses of water every day.
- Water regulates your body temperature.
- Water lessens the burden on your kidneys and liver by flushing out waste.
- Water protects the body’s organs and tissues.
- Water lubricates the body’s joints.
- Water moistens the tissues of the eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Water carries nutrients and oxygen to the cells.
- Fluoridated water supplies the teeth with fluoride to strengthen tooth enamel and protect it from cavities and decay.
- Water flushes out acid-producing bacteria from the mouth so they do not destroy tooth enamel.
- Water acts as a natural mouthwash to continually flush particles and residue out of the mouth following a meal or snack.
- Water prevents dry mouth, which leads to plaque and tartar buildup.
- Water prevents gum disease.
*It is crucial to understand that the health of your mouth has a direct link to the health of your entire body. Tooth decay and gum disease can be directly correlated to diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure, preterm labor, low birth-weight babies, and miscarriage.
Every day, you lose water through your breath, urine, bowel movements, and perspiration. If you are not continually supplying your body with an adequate supply of water, your body is not functioning at its highest capacity. At Engineered Smiles, we encourage you to drink more water in 2021. Your body, and your smile, will thank you!
Posted on behalf of
670 Johnson Ferry Rd
Marietta, GA 30068
Phone: (678) 801-6700
FAX: (678) 903-2428
Monday: 9AM - 6PM
Tuesday: 8AM - 5PM
Wednesday: 8AM - 5PM
Thursday: 8AM - 3PM
Friday - Sunday: Closed